Public health


Alberta Medicare Plan (AHCIP)

Eligible residents You are eligible for Alberta Health Insurance Plan (AHCIP) coverage if: • legally authorized to be or to remain in Canada and to establish their permanent residence in Alberta • has made a commitment to be physically present in Alberta for at least 183 days over a 12 month period • not apply for residency or obtain benefits by virtue of an application for residency in another province, territory or country

• any other person considered by the regulations to be a resident or temporary resident, other than a tourist, passer-by or visitor to Alberta Individuals moving to Alberta from another country and who have an immigration document from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada may be eligible for AHCIP coverage depending on the type of document, restrictions, document length and commitment to reside in Alberta for 12 consecutive months. In some cases, the spouse / partner or dependent of an eligible resident of another country may be eligible with a passport stamp, but a travel visa to Canada is not an accepted document. The Canada Border Services Agency cannot stamp passports automatically; therefore, you may need to apply for the stamp. All applications, entry to Canada, temporary resident permits or permanent resident permits must be reviewed before eligibility can be determined.

When you move to Alberta from another province or country, there may be a waiting period before you are eligible for AHCIP coverage. If you are moving to Alberta from another country and have an immigration document from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, you may be eligible for AHCIP coverage. Learn more about:

• move to Alberta • temporary residents • foreign students and students • how to apply for AHCIP coverage Ineligible residents Ineligible residents include: • members of the Canadian Armed Forces • inmates of federal prisons • asylum seekers • rejected or rejected asylum seekers • people with expired immigration documents The Canadian Armed Forces and inmates of federal prisons are covered by the federal government. Dependents of these ineligible residents residing in Alberta must be registered with AHCIP. Canadian children of refugee claimants, rejected or failed refugee claimants, and those with expired immigration documents may be eligible for AHCIP coverage as long as they reside in Alberta and meet requirements. specific. Check if your child is eligible. Dependents

Dependents include: • married spouses: must register together • Separated spouses: they can register together or separately • Divorced spouses: must register separately • adult couples in solidarity: can be registered together or separately • unmarried children under the age of 21 who are totally dependent on their parents, including adopted children, adopted children (if an income tax deduction has been claimed) and court wards • in the event of separation or divorce, the custodial parent registers the children • In shared custody cases, children are registered in either parent’s name, but not both, as agreed to by both parents.

• unmarried children aged 21 or over who are totally dependent on their parents due to a physical or mental handicap • unmarried children under 25 attending an approved educational institution full time Get information about status changes and updates to your health account information Coverage refused or canceled Your AHCIP application may be refused or your existing AHCIP coverage may be terminated if the supporting documents you provided with your application are not acceptable, expire, or do not meet the eligibility criteria.

Learn more about supporting documents. Apply for a health care coverage eligibility review If coverage is denied, you can request that your application and documents be reviewed. As part of the eligibility review, your application will be considered along with any new supporting documents you submit. It is your responsibility to prove your eligibility for AHCIP coverage. Make sure you provide sufficient evidence to the AHCIP office. Send your appeal letter to the AHCIP office To request an eligibility review, write a letter of appeal to the AHCIP office. Include the reasons for your request and any additional supporting evidence. Send your letter and supporting documents (photocopies) to:

Alberta Health Care: Alberta Medicare, Eligibility Review CP 1360, Main station Edmonton, Alberta T5J 2N3 Eligibility review decisions When an eligibility review has been completed and a decision has been made to deny or terminate AHCIP coverage, you will receive a letter outlining the legislative, regulatory and / or political reasons for the decision.

If you are not satisfied with the eligibility review decision, the letter will also contain information about the process for applying for an administrative review of the decision. Contact Contact the Alberta Medicare Office

Scroll to Top